Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
1. Kaiser Foundation of WA (11): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
2. Molina (6): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
3. Providence Health Plan(3): No plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
4. Coordinated Care (19): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
5. PacificSource (8): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
6. Lifewise (9): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
7. BridgeSpan (7): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
8. *Regence BlueShield (7): All plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
Summary: There are a total of 70 individual plans offered by eight insurance carriers on the Washington exchange for 2021. Regence BlueShield is a new carrier for the 2021 plan year.
In 2021, 96% of the plans on the Washington exchange cover elective abortion. All plans, except those offered by Providence Health Plan, cover elective abortion.
In 2020, 95% of the plans on the Washington exchange covered elective abortion.
In March 2018, Governor Jay Inslee signed into law an insurance mandate requiring that all health plans covering maternity care must also cover elective abortion, beginning January 1, 2019. According to the Washington Health Plan Finder exchange website, Providence Health Plans, which just entered the marketplace for the 2020 plan year, is the first carrier to invoke a religious objection to the law and is able to offer plans that exclude elective abortion. Consequently, for the second year in a row, Washington residents will have some exchange plan options that exclude elective abortion from coverage.
In 2019, 2018 and 2017, 100% of the plans on the Washington exchange covered elective abortion. In 2016, 95% of the plans covered elective abortion (only the Multi-State Plans excluded it).
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns you may have regarding Washington’s lack of abortion-free healthcare options.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): S
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2021 Insurance Carriers: 8
Total Number of Plans: 70
Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 67
Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 3
Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
Red= covers elective abortion
Orange= some plans cover elective abortion/Unknown
Green= does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2021 Marketplace
General news regarding abortion coverage in Obamacare can be found here.
B-Town Blog: Deadline to enroll in public option for healthcare is this coming Tuesday, Dec. 15 (December 12, 2020)
King 5: Open enrollment is here! Here's how to find the right healthcare plan for you (December 3, 2020)