Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
- BlueCross BlueShield Minnesota (9): No plans cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
- HealthPartners (18): No plans cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
- Medica (33): No plans cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
- *Quartz (14): No plans cover elective abortion (2021 plan documents)
- UCare (11): No plans cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
For 2021, there are 85 Individual and Family plans being offered by 5 carriers on MNSure, the Minnesota state exchange. Quartz is a new carrier on the marketplace for 2021. Just as in 2019 and 2020, 100% of the Individual and Family plans on the Minnesota exchange exclude elective abortion from coverage.
While none of the plans in Minnesota cover elective abortion, please bear in mind that taxpayers in your state are still paying federal taxes that are used to pay for coverage that includes elective abortion in other states.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): S
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2021 Insurance Carriers: 5
- Total Number of Plans: 85
- Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 0
- Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 85
- Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
Red= Covers elective abortion
Orange= Some plans cover elective abortion/Unknown
Green= Does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2021 Marketplace
General news regarding abortion coverage in Obamacare can be found here.
MNSure: Minnesota Adds New Health Insurance Company for 2021 (September 21, 2020)
TwinCities.com: MN health insurance rates for individuals and small groups remain stable (October 1, 2019)