Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
- Medica (36): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
- Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. (6): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
- *Oscar Insurance Company (12): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2021 plan documents)
For 2021, there are 54 Individual plans offered by 3 insurance carriers on the Iowa exchange. As in previous years, 100% of the Individual and Family plans on the Iowa exchange exclude elective abortion from coverage. Oscar Insurance Company is new to the Iowa exchange this year.
In 2020, Iowa offered 35 plans by 3 carriers on the exchange.
In 2019, Iowa added two new carriers, Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa and Wellmark Value Health Plan.
In 2018, there were 18 Individual plans offered by one insurance carrier for 2018 on the Iowa exchange. Three insurance carriers exited the marketplace from 2017 (Aetna Health of Iowa, Inc.; Gundersen Health Plans, Inc.; and Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield).
If you have any questions about abortion and Iowa’s healthcare options, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): F
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2021 Insurance Carriers: 3
- Total Number of Plans: 54
- Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 0
- Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 54
- Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
Red= Covers elective abortion
Orange= Some plans cover elective abortion/Unknown
Green= Does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2021 Marketplace
The Gazette: As open enrollment kicks off in Iowa, navigators expect many new enrollees to the ACA exchange (November, 2020)