Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
- Ambetter Plan of WSCC (3): All plans exclude elective abortion (2022 plan documents).
- BlueCross and BlueShield of New Mexico (5): All plans exclude elective abortion (2022 plan documents)
- Friday Health Plans of Colorado, Inc. (7): All plans exclude elective abortion (2022 plan documents. Some plans documents were confirmed as excluding abortion coverage by a Friday Health Plan representative via phone).
- Molina Healthcare (5): All plans exclude elective abortion (2022 plan documents).
- *Presbyterian Health Plan (8): All plans cover elective abortion (2022 plan documents).
- True Health New Mexico (13): All plans exclude elective abortion (2022 plan documents).
Summary: There are 41 Individual plans offered by six insurance carriers for 2022 on the New Mexico state exchange, an increase from 36 plans and five carriers in 2021. Presbyterian Health Plan joined the state exchange this year and is the only carrier which covers elective abortion on its plans. Overall, 80% of plans on the state-run exchange exclude elective abortion coverage. Further, this year marked the state’s transition from the federally-facilitated marketplace to a state run exchange for individual plans.
In 2021, 100% of plans on the federally-facilitated marketplace in New Mexico excluded elective abortion. Friday Health Plans and Ambetter from Western Sky Community Care entered the New Mexico marketplace for the first time. In 2020, New Mexico Health Connections CO-OP (one of the four remaining CO-OPs at the time) announced that it would be closing down on January 1, 2021 due to future growth projections that were not large enough to sustain successful operations.
In 2020, 100% of Individual and Family plans excluded elective abortion from coverage.
In 2019, 100% of Individual and Family plans excluded elective abortion from coverage.
In 2018, at least two-thirds of plans on the federally-facilitated marketplace in New Mexico did not cover elective abortion.
If you have any questions about abortion and New Mexico’s healthcare options, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): S
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2022 Insurance Carriers: 6
- Total Number of Plans: 41
- Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 8
- Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 33
- Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
Red= covers elective abortion
Orange= some plans cover elective abortion or unknown
Green= does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2022 Marketplace
NEW MEXICO NEWS
General news regarding abortion coverage in Obamacare can be found here.
Sante Fe New Mexican: BeWellnm shifts from federal to state-run marketplace (November 8, 2021)
Los Alamos Daily Post: Open Enrollment Period Is Underway For New Mexico’s Health Insurance Marketplace (November 5, 2021)