Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
- Medica (37): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2022 plan documents)
- Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. (6): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2022 plan documents)
- Oscar Insurance Company (27): Plans do not cover elective abortion. (2022 plan documents)
In 2022, there are 70 Individual plans offered by 3 insurance carriers on the Iowa exchange. As in previous years, 100% of the Individual and Family plans on the Iowa exchange exclude elective abortion from coverage. Medica is offering one new plan, and Oscar Insurance Company is offering 15 new plans in 2022.
Note: Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa, Inc. plan documents specify that, while they do not cover elective abortion, they do cover “complications of non-covered abortion.”
In 2021, Iowa offered 54 plans by 3 carriers on the exchange.
In 2020, Iowa offered 35 plans by 3 carriers on the exchange.
In 2019, Iowa added two new carriers, Wellmark Health Plan of Iowa and Wellmark Value Health Plan.
In 2018, there were 18 Individual plans offered by one insurance carrier for 2018 on the Iowa exchange. Three insurance carriers exited the marketplace from 2017 (Aetna Health of Iowa, Inc.; Gundersen Health Plans, Inc.; and Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield).
If you have any questions about abortion and Iowa’s healthcare options, email us at email@example.com.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): F
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2022 Insurance Carriers: 3
- Total Number of Plans: 70
- Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 0
- Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 70
- Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
Red= Covers elective abortion
Orange= Some plans cover elective abortion/Unknown
Green= Does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2022 Marketplace
KCII Radio: 2022 ACA Health Insurance Open Enrollment Underway (November 23, 2021)
Healthinsurance.org: Iowa health insurance marketplace: history and news of the state’s exchange (November 9, 2021)