Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
- Kaiser Foundation of WA (6): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- Kaiser Foundation Northwest (8): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- Molina (2): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- Premera Blue Cross (9): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- Coordinated Care (8): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- Lifewise (4): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
- BridgeSpan (3): All plans cover elective abortion (2019 plan documents)
Summary: There are a total of 40 individual plans offered by seven insurance carriers on the Washington exchange for 2019.
In 2019, 100% of the plans on the Washington exchange cover elective abortion.
In 2018 and 2017, 100% of the plans on the Washington exchange also covered elective abortion. In 2016, 95% of the plans covered elective abortion (only the Multi-State Plans excluded it). Because Washington is no longer a part of the Multi-State Plan Program, there were no MSP’s for 2018, and no MSP’s for 2019.
Email us at email@example.com with any concerns you may have regarding Washington’s lack of abortion-free healthcare options.
Exchange is part of the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace (F) or State-Run (S): S
State Exchange Elective Abortion Opt-Out: No
Number of 2019 Insurance Carriers: 7
- Total Number of Plans: 40
- Number of Plans that Cover Elective Abortion: 40
- Number of Plans that Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: 0
- Number of Plans with Unknown Coverage: 0
State Has Multi-State Plans (MSPs): No
If yes, Number of MSPs: N/A
MSPs That Do Not Cover Elective Abortion: N/A
Red= covers elective abortion
Orange= some plans cover elective abortion/Unknown
Green= does not cover elective abortion
*Bold denotes that this Insurance Carrier is new to the 2019 Marketplace
General news regarding abortion coverage in Obamacare can be found here.
Spokane Public Radio: Sign-up Begins for Washington Health Exchange (November 2, 2018)
KOMO: Wash. health exchange open enrollment period is shorter this year (October 31, 2018)
KIRO7: What to know: Obamacare users see average 13.6% rate change increase in Washington (October 26, 2016)
Seattle Times: Obamacare: Who will be affected by rising rates, and why (October 25, 2016)
Healthinsurance.org: WA earns top 10 status as healthcare access, uninsured rate improve (September 5, 2016)
Healthinsurance.org: Nine carriers will offer plans in the exchange in 2017 (August 25, 2016)
Healthinsurance.org: Moda exits, but 3 carriers join; Seattle benchmark rate declines (October 29, 2015)
OPB: Moda Health Pulls Out of Washington State Insurance Market (October 28, 2015)
Emumclaw Currier-Herald: 1.5 million access health insurance coverage through Washington Healthplanfinder (October 25, 2015)
Charlotte Lozier Institute: Removing Choice in Washington State: Mandating Abortion in Health Insurance (March 2, 2015)
AP: House passes bill requiring abortion-insurance coverage (February 5, 2014)
LifeNews: Washington House Passes Bill to Force All Insurance Plans to Cover Abortions (February 5, 2014)
Fox News: Washington state weighs first-in-the-nation abortion insurance mandate (March 24, 2013)